Northwest Territories


Who requires Hunter Education in Northwest Territories?

All new resident and non-resident hunters are required to take Hunter Education training prior to being issued a hunting licence in the NWT, under the Wildlife Act, unless they are exempt in the regulations (for example, persons who have engaged the services of a licenced guide or outfitter to accompany them while hunting).

Check the ECC website for more information:

Minimum Age Requirements

  • Big Game License: A license to hunt big game will not be issued to anyone under the age of 16 years.
  • Small Game License: A license to hunt small game may be issued to a person between 14 and 16 years of age.
    If a person intends to hunt small game in the NWT and is 14 or 15 years old, in addition to possessing a small game hunting license:
    • they must be accompanied by a parent or guardian who holds a hunting license for small game, and
    • the parent or guardian must endorse the application and license for small game.
    • Parents or guardians who endorse the application are responsible for the activities of a minor while hunting.

A young harvester is between 12 and 18 years old who can hunt without a license if they have the consent of a parent or guardian. They must hunt with an adult who is legally allowed to hunt and the adult must directly supervise the youth at all times. The adult is responsible for the young harvester’s actions and the young harvester must follow any conditions on the adult hunter’s license.

A young harvester without his or her own license cannot get his or her own tags. Anything harvested by the young harvester will be counted against the bag limit of the person supervising him or her.

If you are not the parent or guardian who signed the license of a young hunter or if you are over 18 and are hunting with a young harvester, you are responsible for making sure they follow the law. If the young harvester commits an offence while hunting, you are responsible and can be charged with the offence.

Online Training Available?


Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL)

No, the PAL is a federally regulated and the GNWT does not check for this license when issuing a Hunting License.


For information about courses contact:

Dept. Environment and Climate Change
Government of the Northwest Territories
Box 1320
Yellowknife, NT X1A 2L9

(867) 767-9232 Ext. 53052

Regulations Summary/Synopsis:,are%20issued%20for%20each%20species.

Government Department responsible for hunting:

Environment and Climate Change