Who requires Hunter Education in Nunavut?

There is currently no requirement for Hunter Education in Nunavut but it is offered free and voluntarily to residents.

A person who is a non-resident or a non-resident foreigner can only hunt big game if they use the services of a licensed outfitter and are accompanied by a licensed guide.

The guide requirements for a Nunavut resident depend on their length of residency, and on the availability of approved, licensed guides. The Hunters and Trappers Organization (HTO)in the community has the responsibility for approving individuals to be licensed as guides, and also has the authority to waive the guide requirement.

Upon qualifying as a resident in Nunavut, a person can hunt big game in the following circumstances:

  • If they are accompanied by a licensed big game guide approved by the HTO./li>
  • If the HTO waives the guide requirement.
  • If no guides have been approved by the HTO.
  • If it has been two years since they obtained their first harvesting license.

Minimum Age Requirements

  • Big Game License: 16 (12 if endorsed by parent or guardian)
  • Small Game License: 12

Exam challenge

Exam challenges are NOT available.

Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL)

A PAL is NOT required to obtain a Hunting License in Nunavut.


For information about courses contact:

Jonathan Pynn,
Department of Environment
Government of Nunavut
Box 1000, Stn. 1320
Iqaluit, Nunavut X0A 0H0

Phone: (867) 975-7720

Hunter Education Program Website:

Regulations Summary/Synopsis:

Government Department responsible for hunting:

Department of Environment Wildlife Management Division: